This will be my last post until Christmas is over, so I would like to thank everyone who has taken an interest in my blog and wish you all a very happy holiday.
This week, I put down my paint brushes and took up my x-acto knife, ruler and bone folder. A bone folder is a tool made from bone (plastic folders are available, but not very nice). It has dull edges and is useful for making a sharp crease in paper. In this case, the creases were necessary to make accordion pleats in the Canson Mi-Teintes paper I used for the sides of my tunnel book. I also used some Yes glue and a glue brush.
Because it had been so long since I made my first tunnel book, I decided to photocopy the three watercolour panels of the The Flower Shop onto cardstock. The tunnel book shown at left is actually a model of a model: a cardstock version of watercolour paintings of an imaginary flower shop. I’m very glad I took this approach, because I did encounter a few problems. The first was ignoring that old adage ‘Measure twice, cut once’. The sizes of the three panels were very slightly different, causing the front panel to curve outward. Also, I would like the colours to be more saturated. Luckily, I can re-work the original watercolours to achieve this. There is a flaw in the design, as well: some of the objects on the back panel are totally obscured by the objects in the other two panels. This can only be corrected by designing and painting a new back panel.
Still, it’s good to reacquaint myself with these techniques. I’m fascinated by these little paper structures and plan to make more of them in future.